June is Acne Awareness Month.
Here are a few tips on managing this common skin concern.
• Wash your face with luke warm water twice a day using a gentle cleanser. Perspiration can make acne worse, so wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
• Gently pat dry your skin. Avoid scrubbing or using anything abrasive, this can cause acne to flare.
• Don’t pick or poke! If you pick, pop or squeeze your skin, it will take longer to clear and may increase scarring. Make a conscious effort not to touch your face throughout the day.
• Gently exfoliate once a week. A Clarisonic brush is ideal!
• Avoid excess exposure to sunlight and don’t use tanning beds. Tanning damages your skin. In addition, most medications given for acne can make you more sun sensitive.
• Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Avoid processed foods such as cakes, pastries and white bread.
• Drink more water and avoid sugary drinks.
Consult with your dermatologist if your acne makes you shy or embarrassed, products you have tried haven’t worked, or acne is leaving scars or darkening of the skin.
With same day appointments available at most locations, Skin Speaks medical providers can quickly help you identify the best treatment options for your specific skin.